Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lesley University Graduating Class of 2010

My posts have been few and far between since the new year started and all I can say for myself is that I've been tumbling through the black hole of Master's homework, lesson planning and not-much-fun-having. Today, however, marks (at least preliminarily) the conclusion of my journey through the Integrated Arts Master's program with Lesley University. A journey I decided to pursue well over two years ago and that I set out upon 22 months ago. I have to admit, I wasn't at all sure what to expect from this experience but what came out of it was far more than what I could have imagined. This program coincided with some of the most difficult emotional challenges I've ever had to face. In a way my Lesley weekends have been synonymous with emotion and as I drove away for the final time today that emotion bubbled to the surface. I made some incredible friendships through the last 22 months of working with these educators and today we said our goodbyes, at least for now. You know how everyone has the best intentions to stay in touch and get together for drinks or this or that, but it will never really be quite the same once that single unifying connection is gone. Though I know I've made a few friendships that will continue to thrive.
I'm grateful for the outlet this program has provided for my own art production. Oddly enough it took something requiring a large commitment of my time in order for me to find time to do more of my own drawing. Many a dull class moment found me scribbling away on my sketches and I've valued that. This program has reminded me of the importance of staying passionate about my own art, if I'm ever going to have a chance at inspiring my students with a passion of their own.
The demand on my personal time has been tremendous. Having homework hanging over my head continuously for the last 22 months is exhausting and as I face the final days of working on my Master's Thesis I marvel at what it will feel like when that is gone. I may go on a 3 week bender, pajamas, Ally McBeal episodes and piling pizza boxes. I'm drunk on the possibilities! I can once again dust off my pottery wheel and actually produce some work again. I may not shower or get off the couch for a couple of days! I may actually have time to get organized or while away hours contemplatively napping on my patio. And the best part of all is that I won't have to feel guilty for any of it-- except maybe the no-showering thing... for Adrian's sake. It's a beautiful thing.

I'm grateful. For the friends, for the support, for the education and the opportunity to grow. It hasn't been easy and I'm pretty sure if this had been Survivor we'd have all killed one another a long time ago, but Lesley friends... I'll miss you.

5 comments:

idette said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Go chill out and enjoy the summer!
Very proud of you!!!!

idette said...

Sorry my id showed mrsfarmer - this is your auntie Idette!

Kristen Mouw said...

Thanks Idette! Feels REALLY good to be done. Plenty of lounging on the books for this summer!

Cadmium Color Girl said...

I am also working on the same degree at Lesley. I was wondering about the thesis: is it a long paper? I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some details. I won't have my last class until Sept 2011.

Kristen Mouw said...

"Long" doesn't really cover it, but neither does "paper." Our instructor (Susan Ellis-Pisano) allowed us to work in groups. I had a group of three and it was perfect. One group had five and it was difficult for them to meet that way. Basically it's a project (really wide open) that incorporates what you take away from the program. How will you take the arts and make a difference on a broad scale? For example, my group organized a multigenerational choir to help bring members of the community together, along with a juried art show. Our project consisted of all the planning (letters to community partners, advertising plans, and also your basic parts of a paper, introduction, conclusion, etc.) It was very large but broken into three parts it was totally manageable. Plus most of the last two class sessions were devoted to working on it. Some groups put together huge curriculum plans for incorporating the art modalities into their schools. It really could be anything that you wanted it to be. And wasn't remotely as scary as I thought it would be. But other instructors may do it a little bit differently. Try to find out who will be closing your group and be in contact with them. Ours was the same instructor who opened our group.