Saturday, February 9, 2008

Lesley University

I've begun the process toward obtaining a Master's Degree which is something that has hung over my head for a couple of years. The intimidation factor is huge here. I was never one to hate school but from the moment I graduated with my Bachelor's, the thought of going back to school seemed insane. Forget the commitment to the work, how the hell does one who works full time even attempt to do such a thing without quitting their job? A year or so ago I was introduced to Lesley University through my district curriculum coordinator for the arts. She highly recommended Lesley University for the cohort system it offers. It is an accelerated degree program, 33 credits, each course taught for one weekend a month. You collaborate with classmates over the course of the month to complete the course work and report back the next month with your final project. The weekends are Friday nights 5-10pm, Saturday and Sunday 8-5. Intense, to say the least. And expensive. But weighing my options, getting my Master's Degree is the only way to move where I need to on the pay scale and in the end, the degree will pay for itself with what I will gain out of the experience. And the great thing about getting my Master's through Lesley is that they offer an advanced degree in curriculum and instruction with specialization in integrated teaching through the arts. Awesome, right? I'm excited but nervous. It's a big commitment. The other small draw back is that I'm playing the waiting game until the cohort has the enrollment (18 people) to move forward. So I don't know when I'll actually be starting the program, but hopefully before the end of the summer. We shall see.

1 comment:

Zac's mommy said...

Good for you! The investment up front is so definitely worth it to move up that pay scale....the sooner you move down and right, the better.

It will be a challenge, but you are up to the task, I have no doubt. :)