Thursday, July 30, 2009

Post-Glazing

I unloaded my kilns this morning and was fairly happy with what came out. Of the 10 mugs I made, 4 handles pulled away and can't be sold, but the rest held up ok. I was happy with almost all of my glazes. There were a few things that I had greater vision for that didn't quite get there. But my plates all came out great, as did the Neti pots. Once again I must admit that I am no photographer, so please do not judge the quality of the work based off of the quality of the photos!


These netis along with the mugs glazed like them are a little disappointing. I did not go heavy enough with the top coat so they didn't reach that toasty marshmallow look I was going for and the wheat carving underneath disappeared almost entirely. A shame, but at least they didn't crack.
This glaze looks like boring black but in person there is a hint of deep blue around the neck.


The color in these two photos doesn't show the blue glaze very well. I bent my rules a little bit and made 3 or 4 pots in blue. They actually look kind of pretty in person. You'll just have to trust me.
I have 4 plates with these interesting leaves that I found on our camping trip last week. The backs of them were really deep with veins so they made for a fantastic texture and they were huge, the biggest one being 10 inches across.

This is an urn for a dear family friend who lost a little dog that was close to my heart. I don't feel that the carving does her justice, but she was a slick-coated black dog which made her one of my most challenging carvings yet.
We're heading up to Cottonwood on Saturday for Sunday's Raspberry Festival. I made a mock-up of my display in our living room and my two tables are packed! It's going to be a great display. I hope my sales improve this year.

2 comments:

Benzlover90 said...

Wow habe I have to see my tage line Those ARE SEXY!!! I love the leaf plates thost should go for like 1/2 mill each right.

idette said...

Love it! Whenever you send something this way, I need a plate from you! [along with my Cavalier bowl ;-)]