Friday, July 25, 2008

Glazing has begun

Last Monday I carefully packed all my goodies up in plastic and got them in to my classroom, which I was not so happy to see in a state of total disaster. A few things got chipped up in transport as you have only to sneeze at them, really, to cause something to chip or crack. But I fixed what I could and loaded everything up to bisque. Thursday I unloaded and started the long and laborious process of glazing. Because I do the detailed carving my glaze process is really labor intensive. Everything had to first be stained, then I wax off all the carvings to preserve the clay body underneath from receiving any glaze. I spent 6 hours and got everything stained and a good chunk of the waxing done. I'll have a couple more hours of waxing tomorrow then I'll begin glazing. My glaze palette will be limited to just a few solid combos that I know pretty well and have more faith in them to turn out. I need absolutely everything to turn out as you can see I don't have much. It seems like I should have so much more for spending a month and a half of summer on the wheel. But I'm more of the slow and steady type so I guess this was the best I could do. I'll post the afters once I unload the glaze mid-next week. Keep the positive thoughts!


Here is my army of minis. You can see my six neti pots in the back ground.

A few wheat pots, three of which have a new spin on the wheat theme with just the band of the wheat design. I think I like them! I especially liked that they didn't take as much time to carve. Always a bonus.

And the most time consuming of all my pots. The tree idea is something I came up with years ago and have duplicated a hundred times, though no two pots are ever exactly the same.

And my latest order for a dog urn. This is for Sebastian.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! Those look great! That must have taken a lot of time. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Zac's mommy said...

BEEEEEEEEEEEAUTIFUL. Love love love the minis. And the trees. And the netis. And the urn...

You are so talented, Kristen. You know, it wouldn't be so bad if some of that talent were, say, spread around to your older sister....

Ah well. Hope glazing goes well and that you come home empty handed!

idette said...

Love em!
I might have to buy one from you if you have any left!