Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wish List...

In just a few days of having a wheel here at the house I've decided that the ONLY way I'm ever going to be able to effectively produce my own art is if I can work out of our house. As awkward as my setup is and the fact that we lose a bedroom in the deal, I'm really digging the ceramics at home. If I have an hour free I can jump on the wheel and whip something out, I can sit out in our newly landscaped yard and carve... it's great! I've always struggled with producing anything at school as once the school day is over the last thing I want to do is stick around, away from my husband (who, though we've been married for a year already, I cannot wait to see at the end of every day) even for the sake of art, my other true love. So over the course of a year I only manage to produce maybe half a dozen pots at best and usually one or two fall victim to careless hands. So I have my wish list:

Numero Uno (and most important):
Shimpo VL Whisper Pottery Wheel. A few years back I went to a Tom Coleman workshop at BSU. If you don't know who Tom Coleman is he's like the Peyton Manning of the ceramics world only not a sell-out. He's everywhere and everyone reveres him. Anyway, his word is gospel, so when he endorses a product you can bet your fanny it's a damn good product. He recommended this wheel and as I've researched it I can't find any fault in it. It comes with one hell of a price tag to boot. I'm starting my savings and if anyone feels moved to donate to the advancement of the arts fund I've started you can make your checks payable to Kristen Mouw, though it may or may not be tax deductible, I'll make you a custom pot for your very own. Consider it!

# 2:
A Raku kiln. My dad and I have plans to put this into action. It's just going to take a little time. I'm trying to get my patio finished so we have a place to do it. After that we'll be cookin' with gas, so to speak.

# 3:
A proper studio space with sinks and storage, glaze facility and kilns. This is a bit of a pipe dream right now. But eventually Adrian and I will sell this house and find one where I can hopefully make this dream come true. Something with a nice little workshop space or really even just a three car garage would work fine! I'm not picky, too much.

No comments: