Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Horace Mann Scholarship Entry

I'm applying for scholarship money to begin my Master's program with Lesley University. I stumbled upon an essay scholarship funded by Horace Mann Insurance. The scholarship is specific for educators looking to acquire an advanced degree. I thought I would post my essay here for any who are interested, though it's still semi-rough.



"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." -- Horace Mann

Essay Topic: If you could leave a mark on the world, what would it be and why?

Artists interpret the world in words, music and images. Some are meant to generate pleasure. Others are meant to disturb, but all are intended to affect others. Artists make their mark every day through their passion for their craft.

As an art teacher I have the opportunity to inspire open minds to the potential that lies within my students. Some come to my classroom out of credit obligation, others come because of a mild interest and still others come because, like me, they feel the passion. Regardless of the condition in which they come to me, it is my duty to relate my curriculum to them through methods that make it both accessible and inspiring. It is my hope that what I teach them causes them to reconsider their views, not only of art but the content of their art. Art speaks messages where words fail. Students who realize this manipulate it to work for them once I have given them the foundation to build upon.

As a teacher I can change minds. I influence my students through my example, my actions and my words. Some students may not get what I am about but others will find within me something to which to connect. That connection often lingers long after the final pomp and circumstance. It is a connection that brings them back for visits and it is a connection that translates through the art they continue to produce. Whether they become artists who display in galleries and shops or creative thinkers who excel in their career pursuits, my mark will hopefully be present on their subconscious and make a difference in how they view the world.

1 comment:

Jason Haberman said...

Nicely done K.

Good luck!