Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring Break

It's another of the great reasons that I love my profession. Having a week off in March to help me get through the push to June is priceless and judging by the behavior of both students and staff just prior to the break, it is a much needed boost for our sanity. The students start getting weary of the homework and the demands and teachers get very weary of the students. It's a downward spiral and it's my belief that without spring break there would surely be more beatings out behind the cafeteria and not just among the students.

I had so much planned for this week. Probably an unrealistic amount which of course, I did not accomplish. But I got more done than I suspected I might. Here are a few of the highlights:

  • Cleaned house (and subsequently messed it up again)
  • Finished painting the trim in the bedroom, though I couldn't get to the closet doors as well due to poor weather off and on all week. I've got to get them outside and spray the primer on (louver doors suck to paint) and we've had wind and rain off and on all week long. I'm not sure that I'm crazy about my choice to paint the trim and closet but it's too late now and I must continue.
  • Started, but did not finish, painting the laundry room. It's by far the darkest "room" of the house. It's really more of a passage between the hallway and the back door where our washer and dryer happen to be located, but I digress. I went a couple of shades lighter yellow than what is in the main hallway and it's looking pretty nice. I had to quit halfway and wait for the weekend to finish when I could get Adrian to pull out the appliances and help me clear off the shelf above them (mostly I couldn't do it for my fear of spiders). Remarkably the weekend filled up and the motivation waned and I did not complete the project. Perhaps next weekend...
  • Painted the downstairs bathroom (and completed!) I'm supremely happy with how it turned out. It was painted the same old vanilla ice cream color that the rest of the house was and I painted a color called celery ice over the top to match the green counter tops. On a side note I LOVE the names of paint colors. Whoever has the job of creating the names is really in a cool position. I'd say they nailed the "celery ice" and the "peanut butter" that I painted our bedroom. The hallway is "tropical mango"... how awesome is that? Unfortunately completing the painting in the bathroom led to a trip to Home Depot where I spent an hour and a half just making lists of things I need to improve on, starting with new towel racks, toilet paper holders, robe hooks and oh yah, doors for all the bedrooms/bathrooms, new kitchen sink, new bathroom vanity- for upstairs and downstairs- new toilets, new windows and screens and those awesome little glass square windows for the bathrooms, new flooring, shower enclosures..... well you get the idea. I was drunk on the possibilities and have since crashed with the weighty knowledge that even if we clear some cash on buying this house from his dad there's no way we'll have enough to even begin after taking care of some of the real issues around here (of which there are plenty.) *sigh*
  • I met with a mortgage broker about finally purchasing this house but not before pulling out my "Personal Finance for Dummies" books to help me with the lingo. Not that it helped a whole lot. She threw out a lot of big numbers and while she explained it all to me I knew that as soon as I left her office I wouldn't have a clue as to how to explain it all to my husband or his father (our landlord). But the big step was meeting with her. She seems to be very knowledgeable in the field (has been in it for 26 years or so) and she spoke at the Smart Women Smart Money conference that I went to last fall, filling us in on all the things to watch out for when dealing with mortgage brokers. Handy.
  • I spent WAY too much money on stuff for the house. Like I said, home improvements kind of tend to snow-ball.
  • I started feeling the itch to do yard work, buy flowers, work on our landscaping but really it's just an itch yet. Weather was too cold to really allow the itch to be scratched. Another couple of weeks yet.
  • Had a great my-big-fat-Mexican-Easter lunch with Adrian's family and a great Easter dinner with my family.
  • I spent one whole day with my awesome nephew Zach. He and I went on mole safari in the backyard (mr. mole moved in last summer and has since been making a mess of my new grass.) We did not find him, but swore that if we did we'd throw our "bomb-its" at him.
  • I did NOT make it in to my classroom to glaze my pots... whoa big surprise. But Adrian and I did get some semblance of a plan together for getting my spray booth up and running, or at least the compressor portion... the booth itself will be at the mercy of my moderately unhelpful and overworked maintenance man (who just lost his house in a fire...)
  • I finished filling out my FAFSA for financial aid heading in to my Master's program that is reportedly supposed to start in June, though I have yet to hear anything constructive from the University itself. In fact about a week and a half ago I got an email saying that they had yet to receive my transcript, letters of rec. and personal statement all of which were sent out on the 9th of this month. Um... ok. So I emailed back and haven't heard anything since. Great. So I MAY be starting in June, or maybe not.
  • Spent many hours reading my book (though most of that was just yesterday)
  • Saw my 10 year old niece (Adrian's one and only niece) take first place in her state gymnastics competition. She pretty much owned every other kid there.
Like I said, I got a lot done but had plenty more on my list. I can't complain. And now, facing my 5 o'clock alarm tomorrow morning and the anxiety that always accompanies going back to work I'm feeling a bit uneasy. Thinking I'll read my way to the end of a productive week and maybe have a bag of popcorn for dinner so I don't have to cook (Adrian oughta love that). And you know, Summer vacation is a mere 9 and a half weeks away!

2 comments:

Althea said...

Sounds like you accomplished quite a lot--what with the crappy weather and all... Miss you, tho, too bad we couldn't spend some time together:(
Althea

Zac's mommy said...

great week, i think (toh)--waaaaaayyyyy more than i accomplished!