Sunday, January 31, 2010

News

At church last week our pastor made a comment about the youth in our worship team. He mentioned what a blessing it was that they were using their gifts to give back to others and to God. I've been wrestling lately with what I can be doing to give more for God, considering volunteering for various causes, joining a group of Christian students at my school, that kind of thing. But when he specifically mentioned their gifts it came to me. I have this gift for ceramics and I certainly don't make a lot of money at it, but I enjoy the income it does provide. So I've decided to go non-profit and donate all the money I receive from commissions of work to charity. And my chosen charity will probably change all the time. I may hold on to the money until it accumulates and then donate, or I may just give it away as it comes in. I think I'll play that part by ear. The more I thought about it the more excited I got. I struggle sometimes with producing just for production's sake and when I had this idea I suddenly lost that block. I can see myself being more motivated because now it's not about me at all. The joy will continue into the giving and I'm excited to do it. I always say I should give more away and this is the perfect way. Who knows, perhaps if I give what little I do make away then I'll start selling more work. After all, God works in mysterious ways. So the money made off of the following piece will be donated shortly as the first fruits, followed by the money from a couple of mugs I'm making for a gentleman at school. It's very exciting.

2 comments:

Christy :) said...

That is wonderful. You are an amazing babe! ! !

Rebekah said...

What an inspiring way to give back to God. You are so amazing to think of something like that! Great work babe!