Monday, March 23, 2009

New Pots


This colander is meant to replace the nasty one I gave to Jas and Jess for Christmas. I'm MUCH happier with the results of this glaze. It's the same one I used on my father-in-law's nose mug (found on that same post) so I knew I could trust it. I'm not particularly happy with the amount of shrinkage on this pot, though I guess I've just come to expect that of porcelain.


I had the worst trouble with cracks in this firing. I never have this problem but two of my pots cracked big time. This one has a very large crack that's horizontal to the bottom, you can see it on the bottom right side of this picture. It didn't go all the way through but it's several inches long and completely perplexing.

This was my other cracked pot, which may have been doomed from the start. I had a blunder with it while it was still leatherhard and I managed to drop it. So it had one part that was completely flat and I tried to reshape it a bit. But then as it dried it began to crack in the bottom as well, which I kept trying to compact and fix but I knew in the firing it would reappear. It did, but actually most of the glaze covered the crack. However it did crack in another spot on the bottom which I suspect had something to do with dropping it. At any rate it was still good enough to submit for a teacher show going up at our district office along with a few others that I had sitting around.

No comments: