Monday, August 11, 2008

Backwoods Adventure

Adrian and I decided to spend our last available weekend of the summer in McCall. Some good friends of ours have a condo that I have visited every summer of my working memory. It has long been my favorite place in the world to be especially when accompanied by my best friend.

On Saturday we decided to finally use a gift certificate for Backwoods Adventures that we received as a wedding gift from some friends of ours. They're located on the north beach boat ramp of Payette Lake. It's a small company that rents canoes and kayaks for trips up the North Fork of the Payette River. We were nervous considering that neither of us had ever placed a foot in a kayak and all I'd previously known about them is that they're the ones that can roll over in water. But we were assured that this was something we could handle so we loaded up and hit the water. It was beautiful!
I had no idea how much work was involved as there really is no current to push you. If you're not paddling you aren't going to be moving much. But between the two of us (ok well really just Muscles back there) we didn't do too bad.
We stopped on a sandbar for lunch. So far we hadn't seen much in the way of wildlife except for a studious chipmunk at our lunch spot and some kind of water weasel (I have no idea, but that's what we called him). Oddly enough it wasn't until we returned to town that we saw A BEAR in someone's backyard.
If anyone is heading to McCall anytime soon I would highly recommend checking this place out. If we can handle it anyone can and it was way worth the effort.

No comments: